top of page
  • By Alessandro Schiavone at The Valley

First home game for Addicks boss Adkins ends in frustrating goalless draw against Ipswich

By Alessandro Schiavone at The Valley

Charlton Athletic dropped two points in their quest for a play-off spot with the Addicks held to a frustrating goalless draw by fellow promotion candidates Ipswich Town in Nigel Adkins’ first game in charge at The Valley.

The draw may extend Charlton’s unbeaten streak to nine games but the hosts will surely feel aggrieved at not taking all three points given their dominance in the one-sided second-half.

Charlton pushed hardest for the winner and had the clear-cut chances to wrap up all three points but for their profligacy and inaccuracy in the final third.

The share of the spoils suited neither side in their pursuit of the League One play-off semi-final as the Addicks maintain a two-point lead over Ipswich who have played a game more.

Ipswich registered their best goalscoring opportunity less than three minutes after kick-off as Charlton fortuitously escaped falling behind.

Without a win in three games and with their play-off hopes hanging by a thread, Ipswich Town wanted to make an early statement of intent when, barely three minutes after kick-off, James Norwood’s thumping header from a free-kick drew a fine save from Charlton’s number one Ben Amos.

Keanan Bennett’s follow-up was then cleared off the line by Charlton skipper Jason Pearce as the Addicks survived an early scar.

It unquestionably served as a wake-up call to liven up defensively and just five minutes later the hosts carved out a chance of their own but Ryan Inniss fired a diving header straight at Tomas Holy from a corner.

Ipswich’s centre-forward James Norwood had to come off with an injury after 25 minutes.

Six minutes later, goalie Tomas Holy failed to catch an aerial ball inside the box but Stockley, who scored all of his 5 goals with his head, failed to pounce on the mistake as his tame effort was blocked on the line by an Ipswich player.

On the stroke of half-time Kayden Jackson ran into space but his cutback did not get the finish it deserved by Keanan Bennetts who fluffed his lines, blazing an inaccurate shot over the bar.

The second-half came alive in the 57th minute but Gwion Edwards’ close-range header from Ryan Inniss’ flick-on was parried by the goalkeeper.

A few minutes later left-back Stephen Ward’s sent a shot straight at Amos’ arms, which epitomised Ipswich’s lack of ideas on the rareoccasions when they got in shooting range.

Jake Forster-Caskey twice came close to breaking the deadlock in the space of two minutes but while his first effort lacked power and was comfortably saved by keeper his second lacked accuracy as it went just inches over the crossbar.

In the 75th minute Ben Purrington’s pinpoint delivery wasn’t given the finish it deserved by Stockley who got himself in a great position but couldn’t finish.

Charlton certainly deserved to win on the balance of play, yet contrary to five months ago when they beat the Tractor Boys 2-0 in the corresponding fixture this time they are left reflecting on what could have been if injured talismen Conor Washington and Chuk Aneke’shad played.

Charlton Athletic

Ben Amos-Ben Purrington-Jason Pearce-Diallang Jaiyesimi-Jake Forster-Caskey-Jayden Stockley-Alex Gilbey-Darren Pratley-Adam Matthews-Ryan Inniss-Liam Millar

Ipswich Town:

Tomas Holy-Mark MCGuinness-Stephen Ward-Luke Woolfenden-Gwion Edwards-James Norwood-Teddy Bishop-Keanan Bennetts-Flynn Downes-Andre Dozzell-Kane Vincent-Young


Join our mailing list

bottom of page