top of page
  • Writer's pictureBy Yann Tear at Brisbane Road

Distressing end to the night overshadows Orient efforts on the pitch

Leyton Orient (1) 1 Pigott 10

Lincoln City (0) 0

Match Abandoned after 85 minutes

A medical emergency caused Orient's match against Lincoln City to be called off just minutes from the end - with staff attending a spectator who collapsed as the game neared its conclusion.

It took several minutes for referee Stephen Martin to call a halt to proceedings while the fan was treated - with some fans in the home end staging a mini invasion and sit-down on the pitch to get the game stopped.

There were worrying scenes as medics attempted CPR and the spectator was eventually stretchered to the side of the pitch in front of the East Stand, where screens were erected around them during frantic attempts to administer aid.

The teams were taken off the field and play eventually abandoned after nearly an hour, by which time most of the crowd had melted away solemnly.

It rendered everything that had preceded it pretty much irrelevant for most - few were still in the stadium expecting play to resume.

The O's, who had started the night seeking points to claw their way to mid-table respectability after a difficult start to the campaign, were leading 1-0 through an early Joe Pigott strike.

The game left Orient fans with much to ponder and was on course to leave them with feelings of encouragement that Richie Wellens' team are on the right track.

But those thoughts will be saved for another day, as everyone's mind will have been on the stricken supporter as they quietly made their way home.

O's: (3-4-1-2) Brynn - Cooper, Happe (James 80), Turns - Hunt, Sanders (Pratley 68), Brown, Archibald - El Mizouni - Sortiriou (Drinan 68), Pigott (Graham 77)

Imps: (3-4-3) Jensen - O'Connor, Jackson, Roughan - Sorensen (Burroughs 39), Hamilton, Erhahon, Brown (Makama 85) - Hackett (85), Adelakun (Mandriou 65), Bishop (Smith h/t)

Attendance: 8,101


Join our mailing list

bottom of page