top of page
  • By Alessandro Schiavone at The Valley

A 1-0 win to end season on high but Addicks consigned to another campaign in League One

By Alessandro Schiavone at The Valley

Despite grinding out a 1-0 win over table toppers Hull City 1-0 at the Valley, Charlton Athletic will spend another season in League One after Oxford United brushed aside Burton Albion 4-0 to take the final play-off berth.

Charlton gave champions Hull a guard of honour prior to kick-off before going on and end their 14-game unbeaten run courtesy of an own goal by 20-year old Jacob Greaves in 75th minute.

Either side had a couple of goalscoring chances apiece in the first-half with the Tigers Hull being the dominant side in the early stages while Charlton became increasingly influential as the game wore on.

Charlton Athletic had two early let-offs when defender Akin Famewo denied Gavin Whyte the opener with a sliding intervention in the nick of time just when he wanted to get his shot away. And three minutes later Whyte then played a defence-splitting pass to Josh Magennis but Ben Amos rushed off his line to deny the Tigers an early breakthrough.

Nigel Adkins’ men were more menacing as the game wore on but despite carving out three goalscoring opportunities none of them managed to test former QPR flop Matt Ingram in Hull City’s goal.

In the 24th minute Addicks winger Liam Millar blew a chance to shatter the deadlock when he surged forward before blazing a thunderous shot over the crossbar from an acute angle.

In the 40th minute Conor Washington fired his effort just wide from inside the six-yard box after timing his run to the perfection following a cross from the left.

Charlton’s inability to turn possession into goals continued when, just before the break, Alex Gilbey tried to guide a low, angled effort into the far side of the net from 20 yards but Stockley couldn’t get on the end of it to apply the final touch.

After the restart Charlton continued to push Hull City down in their own area but to Nigel Adkins’ despair his players lacked cutting edge and killer instinct.

After 49 minutes Stockley’s glancing header from Millar’s cross clipped the top of the crossbar with ingram well beaten.

Two minutes later, Millar, who must have covered every blade of grass in the opponents’ half, saw his bending effort flash just wide after drifting in from the right flank.

At the hour-mark Stockley glanced a header inches over the crossbar after Alex Gilbey had swung in a perfect cross.

But Charlton finally reaped the rewards for their dominance when Millar’s cross was fortuitously deflected in off the hapless Jacob Greaves.

Hull City failed to muster a single shot on target and string more than five passes together in the second-half as Charlton were on the front foot from start to finish.

With two minutes to go, defender Ryan Inniss had the chance to extend the Addicks’ lead when he rose highest before smashing a bullet header straight at goalkeeper Matt Ingram at the back post.

Charlton Athletic 4-3-3

13 Ben Amos- 16 Adam Matthews-24 Ryan Inniss- 5 Akin Famewo- 22 Ian Maatsen- 11 Alex Gilbey- 26 Ben Watson- 19 Albie Morgan-14 Conor Washington- 9 Jayden Stockley-27 Liam Millar

Hull City 4-2-3-1

13 Matt Ingram- 3 Callum Elder- 24 Jacob Greaves- 15 Alfie Jones- 2 Lewie Coyle- 33 Greg Docherty- 18 Regan Slater-19 Keane Lewis-Potter- 23 Gavin Whyte- 27 Josh Magennis


Join our mailing list

bottom of page