top of page
  • By Christian Mayes at Loftus Road

QPR dominate but lack cutting edge in a forgettable 0-0 draw with Stoke City

Image taken by Christian Mayes

Tyrese Campbell missed the chance to steal all three points for the Potters as QPR and Stoke played out a forgettable 0-0 draw at Loftus Road on Saturday.

Stoke City striker Campbell, a second half substitute, had the best opportunity of the match in stoppage time, but could only curl the ball past the post from inside the Hoops box which would have won the match, in a match where the away side were largely second best.

Subsitute Albert Adomah could have secured the points for Rangers with seven minutes left, but a fine save from Stoke keeper Joe Bursik earned the away side a point.

QPR dominated the second half but could not create enough clear-cut opportunities to win the game, with a close range header from Jimmy Dunne and an effort from Lyndon Dykes proving to be the hosts main attempts on goal.

Two quickfire chances for Stoke striker Dwight Gayle saw the visitors finish the first half strongly, as the former Newcastle and Crystal Palace forward fired a close-range free kick millimetres over the bar in the 37th minute, before sending a low driven effort past the post moments later in what proved to be the best chances of the first 45 minutes.

Rangers captain Stefan Johansen forced a fine save from Stoke keeper Joe Bursik in the 44th minute in one of the few moments of note for the home side in the first half, as the two sides went in level.

Lyndon Dykes was brought on for Andre Dozzell at half time and made an instant impact, forcing a save from Bursik low to his right moments after the restart, as the hosts found some of the attacking intent they had sorely lacked in the first half.

Bursik kept the Potters in the contest with a fine save from Jimmy Dunne’s close range header in the 53rd minute.

Johansen floated a cross in behind the Stoke defence with 15 minutes to go which found Chair, who couldn’t get enough contact on the header to seriously trouble Bursik.

Respects were paid to Queen Elizabeth II before and during the match, as both captains laid reefs on the centre spot before observing a minute’s silence prior to kick-off, while the game was stopped in the 70th minute for a minute’s applause to mark her death.

The result moves QPR into the playoff places for the time being, before their next game after the international break against Bristol City.


QPR: Dieng; Laird, Balogun, Dunne, Paal; Field, Johansen (Iroegbunam 77’), Chair, Dozzell (Dykes 45’), Willock; Roberts (Adomah 77’).

Unused subs: Archer, Kakay, Bonne, Masterson.

Stoke: Bursik, Wilmot, Fox, Flint, Fosu, Thompson (Laurent 75’), Baker, Smallbone, Taylor, Delap (Powell 66’), Gayle (Campbell 66’).

Unused subs: Fielding, Wright-Phillips, Sparrow, Baker.


Join our mailing list

bottom of page