top of page
  • By Yann Tear at The Valley

Addicks prevail after last-gasp equaliser and penalties down QPR

Carabao Cup first round

Charlton (0) 1 Henry 90

QPR (0) 1 Roberts 80

Charlton win 5-3 on pens

The Addicks claimed a place in tomorrow night’s League Cup second round draw after a perfect set of five penalties to get the better of Championship rivals QPR.

Tyler Roberts came off the bench to produce the cameo and goal from just outside the box which looked to have swung a tight tie in the west London club's favour.

But Charlton had a sub of their own who proved adept at lashing home from a similar range in Aaron Henry and as the game approached 90 minutes, he was on hand to fire across Seny Dieng into the far corner after Rangers failed to clear their lines at a flag kick.

In the shoot-out, Stefan Johansen took the first kick for Rangers and had his effort palmed up onto the crossbar by Jojo Wollacott. It proved to be the only miss.

Jayden Stockley, Charlie Kirk, Albie Morgan, Henry and Eoghan O’Connell all found the net as did Roberts, Mide Shodipo and Jason Dozzell for the R’s in a losing cause.

Roberts – on loan from Leeds – was a cut above when he came on just past the hour and immediately gave the Hoops the impetus they needed to finally assert their divisional superiority.

His goal ten minutes from time was a beautifully measured strike into the top corner from the edge of the area and much appreciated by the Rangers fans packed into the Jimmy Seed stand, where the goal was struck.

The away fans generated most of the atmosphere at the Valley. They had almost as many in the ground as the hosts – their contingent numbering 2,587 in a crowd of 5,629.

But this was a derby that did not quite capture the imagination of home fans in terms of numbers. Perhaps the memory of last year’s numbing first round exit at the hands of AFC Wimbledon played its part.

It is a pity, because they missed a great night for the club and will be starved of London clashes this season – marooned as they are in League One as the sole capital representatives in that division.

The absent fans also missed a very decent showing from Ben Garner’s side – in particular from the fearless Diallang Jaiyesimi down the right, who was prepared to take on Championship defenders from anywhere.

Miles Leaburn too seemed to enjoy pitting his wits against the big Hoops men at the back, Rob Dickie and Jimmy Dunne. Jake Forster-Caskey found space a couple of times to chance his arm from distance.

The R’s, much like Charlton, will have league points uppermost in their minds all season but they won three rounds of this competition last season – including a thrilling night when they defeated Everton on penalties – so it should mean something. Actually, because of 1967 it will surely always mean something.

Rangers boss Mick Beale threw on Roberts and Sinclair Armstrong on the hour, soon followed by the extra guile of Johansen, and the extra injection of pace threatened to break the deadlock at last, and so it proved.

The only problem for Rangers is that the Addicks had a bullet left in the chamber to take the game to penalties – even if Shodipo came close to an injury-time winner for the R's with a curling shot.

Garner's men made the most of their reprieve as they kept their nerve in the shoot-out in front of the home end.

Addicks: (4-3-3) Wollacott – Clare (Ness 61), Gilbey, O’Connell, Lavelle – Payne (Kirk 75), Dobson (Henry 61), Leaburn – Forester-Caskey (Morgan 75), Clayden, Jaiyesimi (Stockley 75). Subs not used: MacGillivray, Fraser, Kanu, Chin

Hoops: (4-2-1-3) Dieng – Kakay (Drewe 75), Dickie, Dunne, Hamalainen – Field (Johansen 71), Dozzell – Adomah (Shodipo 61), Thomas, Chair (Roberts 61) – Bonne (Armstrong 61). Subs not used: Walsh, Dykes, Masterson, Gubbins


Join our mailing list

bottom of page