top of page
  • Writer's pictureBy Yann Tear at Emirates Stadium

Pandemonium at the last as Arsenal score twice in injury time to floor Man United

Arsenal (1) 3 Odegaard 28, Rice 90+6, Jesus 90+11

Manchester United (1) 1 Rashford 27

They looked to have lost it two minutes from time. In the end the Gunners won it with two goals deep into injury time.

Drama doesn't get much more intoxicating than this.

A fabulous, unimagined finale finished off another madcap Premier League clash with the Gunners triumphing at the very last - as they also did against United at the Emirates last season.

And what a moment for the £105m man Declan Rice. He turned at the back post after a corner to find the net via a deflection off Jonny Evans to make it 2-1 and suddenly that big fee did not seem so outlandish. Ice, Ice Baby boomed out over the PA at the end.

As United poured forward in a bid to repair the damage, Arsenal struck again when Gabriel Jesus - who had only come on for the last knockings - raced from half way with empty space ahead of him. Diogo Dalot dashed in to try and deny him, but the Brazilian kept his composure beautifully to side-step the despairing defender before rolling the ball home.

What a moment. Especially as it came not long after Alejandro Garnacho thought he had won it for United - only for an offside ruling to keep the Gunners alive.

Arsenal were pretty much the dominant force throughout, even if they did go a goal down against the run of play after 25 minutes.

They had United pinned back in their half for most of that spell, during which time Kai Havertz contrived to barely connect with a ball sitting up and begging to be put away from six yards.

And while the pace of Gaby Martinelli tormented Aaron Wan-Bissaka and created promise, it was the visitors who stole into the lead with what was virtually their first serious raid.

It stemmed from a misplaced pass from the hapless Havertz, with Christian Eriksen seizing on the wayward ball to set Marcus Rashford free in the inside-left channel.

The striker, who scored a beauty at the Emirates in last season's thrilling encounter, cut inside two backing-off defenders and curled a fine shot into the far bottom corner.

The Gunners' response was immediate, with skipper Martin Odegaard sending a low first-time shot beyond Andre Onana after a clever cut-back from the on-fire Martinelli.

Ref Anthony Taylor awarded a penalty on the hour after Havertz went down in the box after a challenge by Wan-Bissaka, but Jarred Gillett on VAR duty prompted a rethink and Taylor reversed his decision.

It did not look like a clear and obvious error, as the German's heel did seem to get clipped, but United got lucky. They were less fortunate with a VAR intervention that ruled out a late winner for sub Garnacho, who finished off a swift counter-attack by slotting past Aaron Ramsdale.

The pass to him from Casemiro was deemed just offside, with Gabriel having stepped up just far enough to trigger the marginal infraction.

If they felt disappointed then, an even bigger blow was about to befall them.

Gunners: (4-3-3) Ramsdale - White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko (Tomiyasu 76) - Odegaard (Jorginho 90), Rice, Havertz (Vieira 76) - Saka, Nketiah (Jesus 76), Martinelli (Nelson 89)

United: (4-2-3-1) Onana - Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof (Evans 84), Martinez (Maguire 67), Dalot - Casemiro, Eriksen - Antony,(Garnacho 84) Bruno Fernandes, Rashford - Martial (Hojlund 67)


Join our mailing list

bottom of page