top of page
  • By Charlie Stong

Much-changed Lions brush aside Boreham Wood in FA Cup Third Round

FA Cup 3rd Round

Boreham Wood 0

Millwall 2

Meadow Park

Goals from Kenneth Zohore and Shaun Hutchinson ended Boreham Wood’s best-ever FA Cup run and saw Millwall into the fourth round this afternoon.

The Lions were dominant throughout - apart from a short period at the start of the second half when The Wood briefly threatened - and thoroughly deserved their 2-0 win at Meadow Park.

Troy Parrott, on loan from Spurs, caused the Hertfordshire non-leaguers problems all afternoon, but still awaits his first goal for the South Londoners.

And despite having won just one of their 13 games coming into the tie, Millwall never looked in danger of being on the wrong end of a shock on third round day.

After just five minutes a clever give-and-go with Zohore ended with Parrott shooting just wide of the left hand post.

Soon after that Zohore and Parrott linked up again, the former knocking down a right wing cross but the latter’s shot was this time blocked.

Nathan Ashmore in the Boreham Wood goal was then forced into a fine save as Tyler Burey’s shot with the outside of his right foot from inside the box was pushed away.

Ryan Leonard, one of just three players remaining from the 2-1 defeat at home to Coventry in the Championship last weekend, then saw his shot saved, before the Lions finally breached The Wood back line just after the half-hour.

Scott Malone worked himself a scoring opportunity in the box after a one-two with Parrott, but unselfishly squared for Zohore and, despite Ashmore getting a hand to the shot, the power on the ball was too much for him to keep it out.

At the other end Junior Morias provided the odd spark for Boreham Wood, notably when he cut in from the left, shot and forced a block from two Millwall defenders, but the Lions were well worth their lead at the break.

After the restart Jake Cooper’s header was saved by Ashmore before a big talking point. Cooper, arriving late for a bouncing ball just inside his own half, blocked Morias who had the beating of him.

But despite the protestations of the Boreham Wood players, referee Ben Speedie decided not to show Cooper a second yellow.

Then came The Wood’s best, and only real decent spell of the game.

Keiran Murtagh volleyed just over from 25 yards before the home side’s best chance fell to Matt Rhead, who snatched at a shot from the edge of the box when well placed.

Tom Bradshaw should have then made things save for Millwall, the substitute capitalising on a mix-up in the Boreham Wood defence, but shot just wide.

But with 15 minutes left on the clock Hutchinson did secure the Lions’ passage to the next round. Following a right-wing corner, one of a succession for the visitors, Hutchinson found himself free on the six-yard line and powered a header past Ashmore.

After that The Wood never really threatened to get back into the game, and this first competitive meeting between the two clubs petered out into its inevitable conclusion.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Stephens, Fyfield, Ilesanmi, Smith, Mafuta, Murtagh, Thomas, Tshimanga (Coulthirst, 79), Rhead, Morias (Whitely, 68).Subs not used: Huddart, Woodards, Mingoia, McDonnell.

Millwall: Fielding, Hutchinson, Pearce, Cooper, McNamara, Leonard, Woods (Thompson), Malone, Burey (Bradshaw, 60), Zohore (Bodvarsson, 60), Parrott (Smith, 81).Subs not used: Wallace, Ferguson, Romeo, Bennett, Bialkowski.

Referee: Ben Speedie

Join our mailing list

bottom of page