top of page
  • By Paul Lagan at Wembley Stadium

Elliott ‘Beast’ Nevitt nabs Wembley hat-trick as Warrington beat Binfield 3-2 in FA Vase thriller

By Paul Lagan at Wembley Stadium

Binfield FC 2 v Warrington Rylands 3

Elliott Nevitt notched a Wembley hat-trick as Warrington Rylands won the FA Vase Trophy beating Binfield in a 3-2 thriller.

You have to spare a thought to Binfield’s Liam Ferdinand who scored a brace as the Berkshire side, who looked the more composed side throughout the 90 minutes.

But it’s all about goals, and the ‘Beast’ as he is known in the Cheshire area was right on the spot - literally for his second - a perfect penalty, to secure the trophy.

Binfield made the livelier start with striker Sean Moore impressing one the left.

His curling right-footer from an angle failed to trouble The Blues’ goalkeeper Graeme McCall who needed to be alert on a number of occasions - most notably a series of corners, which he dealt with competently.

Warrington seemed out of sorts, failing to string together passes and losing possession too easily.

But on 23 minutes, striker Stephen Milne though he had scored when he latched onto a long ball, rounded Chris Grace and planted the ball in the back of the net. However he was adjudged to have strayed offside and the goal was disallowed.

This gave Rylands some confidence and with their next attack, on 25 minutes, they scored.

Nevitt was found at the far post area and the hit man punched the ball into the ground, the ball was angled such that it gave McCall no chance and the ball nestled into the back of his net.

This only gave the Berkshire side added resolve, and three minutes before the break, Binfield got a deserved equaliser.

Moore, on the left skinned Gary Kenny, before sending in an inviting byline cross and Liam, Ferdinand nodded home the leveller.

But seconds later Rylands pushed forward and were awarded a penalty when a mistimed tackle by Liam Gavin upended Milne inside the penalty area and Nevitt buried a solid right-footer wide of Grace to restore the Cheshire’s side’s lead.

There were no changes by either side at half-time.

Binfield’s Elliott Legg was the first player into referee John Busby’s book, when the left back scythed down Kevin Drummond on 51 minutes.

Binfield, like the opening exchanges in the first, started well, forcing Rylands back.

But once again, Warrington struck against the run of play.

A regulation corner saw Nevitt get ahead of his marker and head home from close range to notch his hat-trick and make it 3-1 on 59 minutes.

Moore thought he had pulled a goal back on 65 minutes but Warren Gerrard hacked his looping close-range header off the line.

But they did, two minutes later and it was Ferdinand, on the edge of the Rylands penalty area, slightly to the right. But he arrowed a daisy-cutter across the goal and it zipped into the bottom right corner of McCall’s goal to make it 3-2.

Binfield piled on the pressure from this point.

Yet Kane Drummond had a great chance on 76 minutes to finish the final off but his shot from was well blocked by Grace to keep the Moles in the match.

Nevitt could have made it four deep into the six minutes of added time, when he raced clear from the half-way line. But one overhit touch allowed Grace the chance to close down his shot.

And that was that.

Teams: Binfield, Grace, Hancock, Legg, Willment, Gavin, McClurg, Moore, Short, Harris, Ferdinand, Maloney

Subs: Broome, Howell, Thomson-Wheeler, Helmore, Veal, Johnson, Povey

Warrington Rylands, McCall, Gerrard, Tinning, Kenny, Smith, Coveney, Doyle, Scarisbrick, Nevitt, Milne, Drummond

Subs, Emery, Denman, Freeman, Lees, Sheen, Shanley, Potter

Referee: John Busby

Join our mailing list

bottom of page