top of page
  • By Charlie Stong at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Spurs held by impressive Blades

Tottenham Hotspur 1

Sheffield United 1

George Baldock’s 78th-minute goal earned Sheffield United a point which was the least they deserved at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this afternoon after yet more VAR drama.

Spurs had taken the lead through Heung-Min Son on 58 minutes, but just two minutes later the Blades thought they had equalised when left-back Enda Stevens’ cross was poked home at the far post by David McGoldrick.

But after a VAR check which lasted four minutes, John Lundstrom's big toe was adjudged to have been offside earlier in the build-up to the goal.

However United got what they deserved 12 minutes from time. After good, patient build-up play in the centre of the field, the ball was worked to Baldock on the right. His cross evaded everyone and dropped into the far corner of the Spurs net.

Sheffield United hearts would have been in their hands as VAR again checked the goal, but this one stood.

Organised at the back and adventurous going forward, the Blades were the better team throughout, and could have considered themselves unlucky not to have gone in ahead at the break.

In the second minute Baldock was fouled by Eric Dier on the right of the Spurs box and, from the resulting free-kick from John Fleck, the ball was cleared to Oliver Norwood, whose volley from just outside the box was tipped over by Paulo Gazzaniga in the Spurs goal.

Then good link-up play between Fleck and Baldock ended with Fleck’s left-footed shot being saved by Gazzaniga.

Spurs were sloppy in their passing, while the northerners looked more assured with their game, and a continued threat going forward.

Spurs’ first chance came on 15 minutes, and they should have scored. Dele Alli’s surging run ended with a ball to Serge Aurier on the right. His cross was met by Harry Kane but, under pressure from the Blades’ defence, he could only shoot wide of the goal.

But then Sheffield United had two glorious chances within a couple of minutes. First on 27 minutes Stevens’ ball in from the left beat Aurier and found its way to Lundstram, whose kneed effort was agonisingly wide of the right-hand post, with Gazzaniga beaten.

Then, following a cross from the right, Jack O’Connell pulled the ball back for Lundstram, who smacked the ball against the left-hand post, and Lys Mousset’s follow-up was wide.

At the other end Heung-Min Son and Giovani Lo Celso did their best to get Spurs going, but it was goalless at the break.

United started the second as they had finished the first period. Mousset’s twist and turn inside the box left Aurier on his backside, but his shot was again just wide.

Son then had a shot saved for Spurs before the home side took the lead. Stevens’ tentative ball backwards from inside the area was pounced on by Son, who was left with the simplest of conversions.

United continued to press and, despite VAR chalking off one effort, the technology could not deny them.

Spurs pushed for the winner at the end, substitute Lucas Moura’s shot was well saved by Dean Henderson in the United goal, but the northerners held out for a deserved point.

Spurs: Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Son, Kane, Dier, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Alli, Aurier (Moura), Ndombele (Winks), Davies

Referee: Graham Scott

Join our mailing list

bottom of page