top of page
  • By Paul Lagan

Ji inspires Chelsea comeback with a brace against City in 2-2 draw at the Academy stadium

Chelsea 2 v Man City Women 2


Man City 2 Chelsea 2 Photo by Paul Lagan

Chelsea produced a brilliant second half comeback to draw 2-2 against Manchester City this afternoon at the Academy stadium after going 2-0 down with Ji So-Yun scoring a brace, the second a free-kick two minutes from time.

Chelsea, in truth were terrible in the first half and allowed the home side to take advantage of errors to take what is normally a match-winning two-goal advantage.

But with the wind in their favour the Londoners rolled up their sleeves and dominated the second period.

Chelsea should have taken the lead on five minutes when Jennifer Beattie mishit her back pass to Karen Bardsley, Beth England nipped in but failed to clip the ball past the goalkeeper from four yards out.

Millie Bright was booked by referee Matthew Dicicco two minutes later as the home side made a quick counter-attack. Bright upended live wire Nikita Parris just outside the Chelsea penalty area.

Bardsley was on hand to smother an England left footer on nine minutes.

But once again, it was City who took the lead on 12 minutes, Tessa Wullaert took advantage of a Bright error and raced clear before tucking home from just inside the Chelsea area.

Chelsea missed another chance to score when an unchallenged Jim So-Yun produced a weak left-footer that Bardsley, again snaffled.

Drew Spence entered the ref’s book for fouling Gemma Bonner.

Georgie Stanway notched up number two on 25 minutes. A error, this time by Ji allowed City to attack. The ball was fed to the in-running Stanwayl, who produced a daisy-cutter from then edge of the Chelsea penalty area and in off Hedvig Lindal’s right post.

There were no changes bu either side at half time.

Spence shot straight at Bardsley two minutes into the second half as the Londoners went in search of a goal. But seconds later a quick break by City saw a brilliant save by Lindahl, Jill Scott’s goal-bound shot was tipped on to the point.

Chelsea finally got the goal they needed on 50 minutes, when a wind-assisted clearance saw the ball fall invitingly to Ji and she shot a low, right-footer past Bardsley from eight yards out.

Parris should have added a third on 60 minutes but she screwed her short wide of goal with only Lindahl to beat. It followed good pressure by Chelsea and City’s effort was a result, once again of a counter-attack.

Emma Hayes made her first change on 64 minutes - Fran Kirby one for Karen Carney.

Parris again, missed a great chance after another quick break. He shot was the same as her previous effort, wide of Lindahl.

Ramona Bachmann replaced Ingle on 76 minutes.

The Switzerland international should have scored with 10 minutes left, but blasted a volley high over the City crossbar.

A Kirby volley on 84 minutes was scuffed and another great chance to score wasted.

Ji then score with a wonderful free-kick with two min Tuesday left. The effort took a slight deflection, but was zipping into the back of the City net.


Chelsea Lindahl, Blundell, Bright, Ingle, Carney, So-Yun, England, Eriksson, Andersson, Cuthbert, Spence

Subs: Asante, Carter, Riley, Cooper, Bachmann, Berger

Man City, Bardsley, Bonner, Beattie, Houghton, Stokes, Walsh, Scott, Weir, Wullaert, Stanway, Parris

Subs: Roebuck, Morgan, Beckie, Emilie, Campbell, Hemp, Bremer

Join our mailing list

bottom of page