Eden Hazard Photo by Jose Manez
Antonio Conte is expected to be sacked this week, ending two years at the helm at Stamford Bridge winning the Premier League in his first season and the FA Cup, on Saturday, in his second.
The Italian has one year left on his deal but that is expected to account for nothing other than a £9million pay-off.
Chelsea’s Eden Hazard scored the only goal, a penalty, that downed Manchester United to lift the cup and was quick to challenge the club’s board to match the ambitions of the top players and Conte.
He said: “I think all of the players and the club want one thing and that’s to win the title, that’s it. Of course we will see if we can bring in some new players, it’s part of the job. But we will be focused on winning the title, that’s it.”
It was the first time the Belgium had won the FA Cup.
”It’s a good feeling to be fair, especially as we lost the final last year,” he said.
”You saw the celebrations afterwards with the fans, this trophy means a lot to them and to us. I think the only players who hav won this from the current squad before are David Luiz and Gary Cahill. We are all happy, you saw that afterwards. The season wasn’t top, top, but we finished well and we are happy.
“There is always pressure when you play in a final. I think we managed the pressure well because we were in control of the game. We didn’t play a good game, but at least we were compact, Thibaut made some saves at the end of the game. We scored one and perhaps should have got more to close the game. We didn’t and there is always pressure when you’re just 1-0 up, you know you have to keep hold of the scoreline.
Can he and Chelsea keep the good form into next season?
“Yes of course,” he said. “Some of us are playing in the World Cup but we need the mentality we showed for next season. That’s it. Okay we don’t play in the Champions League, but last season we didn’t play in it and won the League. We need this mentality, players to produce and make the difference. That’s why we love Chelsea.
“We have a lot of top players, players that are used to winning trophies. We will be ready next season for sure.”
Of Conte’s future at Chelsea, he said: “We will see, it doesn’t depend on me. We won together. We will see what happens and that’s it.”
Of his own future he said he wasn't talking with Chelsea about a new contract but that could all change: “No, no, no. At the moment I am at Chelsea and have two years left on my contract,” he said.
“It is what I have been saying every week. Yes, I am focused on the World Cup now and then we will see.
“I think all of the players and the club want one thing and that’s to win the title, that’s it. Of course we will see if we can bring in some new players, it’s part of the job. But we will be focused on winning the title, that’s it.”
Hazard started the season with a fractured ankle – has he overachieved given your first major injury?
“Yes. It is always hard to come back from a big injury. But it is part of football. Sometimes you get injured and have to deal with that. I think the medical staff did well, I did well at the start, we managed the injury very well. Now I am just happy. I am fit and focused on the pitch and I will be ready for the World Cup.